Balfour Post News Desk-Bpost
Despite the fact that President Obama continues to champion the UN “Human Rights” Council, on the final day of its recent session, administration diplomats failed to get agreement on blaming Syria for August’s chemical weapons attack. On Friday, September 27, 2013, the Council adopted a resolution on Syria that omitted any finding that Assad was responsible for the attack which left 1,400 civilians dead.
President Obama hailed the agreement as “a major diplomatic breakthrough.” Here’s what he didn’t tell the American people and what the UN Security Council adopted:
• The resolution does not blame Syria for the August chemical weapons attack – ignoring the repeated impassioned pleas of the President and Secretary Kerry on this very subject. On the contrary, the resolution suggests chemical weapons use is equally a problem of the government and the opposition – referring to “any use of chemical weapons by anyone in the Syrian Arab Republic.”
• The resolution does not sanction the use of force for any Syrian non-compliance. On the contrary, any proposed use of force in the future requires a return to the UN Security Council – meaning Obama and any erstwhile allies have tied their hands to Russian-approved enforcement in the future.
• The deal seriously undercuts the Syrian opposition, by stating that the “only solution to the current crisis” is an “inclusive Syrian-led process” and referring to an international conference which is “fully representative of the Syrian people” – that is, inclusive of the regime of President Assad.
• Contrary to President Obama’s previous insistence that “Assad must go,” the resolution ensures that Assad will stay. It depends on Assad to implement it. In its words “…recognizing the primary responsibility of Syrian government to…”
• The deal uses the catchword of “accountability” for the chemical attack while providing no means of getting there. Suggestions to refer the matter to the International Criminal Court were rejected by Russia.